Making the website background





Many contemporary artists choose to design their websites in congruence with their latest album. The cover for Stalingrad (Feminist Praxis' "latest album") features a newspaper theme in the background, which I therefore decided to continue within the website.




So I printed out newspaper front covers. Many alternative bands are heavily involved in politics, so I specifically found covers with disastrous headlines to make a point.




               





These images all printed out in greyscale, making them look more cohesive. I then ripped the newspapers up and collaged them back together to create a collaged effect. Soon enough, I had a somewhat rectangular shape to use for the website background. 



Then, I took the picture and rubbed out the carpet, including in the gaps between the cuttings. To fill out the sides (and the gaps) I duplicated this shape sideways and placed it so there were no blank spaces. The top and bottom edges, however, are left jagged for a seamless transition in the website background during scrolling. I wanted it to emulated the physical effect of continual newspaper cuttings, instead of seeming like it was edited on a photo app.



Overall, it appears to have been quite successful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog